|Founded in 1906 as the EDLC, the present EDLC is chartered by the Canadian Labour of Congress and affiliated to the Alberta Federation of Labour. The EDLC is comprised of many Edmonton and area unions. Our members work in various levels of government federal, provincial and municipal, school boards, hospitals, nursing homes, offices hotel, retail stores and the steel, auto, chemical, energy, paper, communications, print, airline, postal, meatpacking, garment, food and other industries.
Our Goals Are To:
- secure legislation which will safeguard and promote the principles of free collective bargaining, the rights of workers, and the security and welfare of all people.
- extend the benefits of collective bargaining to all workers and promote the interests of our affiliates.
- protect and strengthen our democratic institutions. To secure full recognition and enjoyment of the rights and liberties to which we are justly entitled, and to preserve and perpetuate the cherished traditions of our democracy.
- promote the cause of peace and freedom in the world and to assist and co-operate with free and democratic labour movements throughout the world.
- safeguard the democratic character of the labour movement and to respect the autonomy of each affiliated union.